[Installit-dev] "package manager " becomes "InstallIt"

Nicolas Masse masse_nicolas at yahoo.fr
Wed Aug 24 15:49:59 CEST 2005

Here is my point of view af all that:

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:06:44 +0300
Tuukka Mäkinen <tukem at iki.fi> wrote:

> Benedict listed lot of good stuff I wanted to say but I'll post my view of how
> system might work anyway. Perhaps it'll give some ideas to somebody.
>

> 1. Check what package manager plugins are installed
> 2. Show package manager selection dialog

1st run only. Then can be available throught a separate dialog.

> 3. Tell plugin to check if it exists on the system
> 3a. continue
> 3b. Error dialog

yes, we must not forget that :-).
But, perhaps would it be better to just show available package manager systems in 2.
(note verification can also be done to verify that the pre-selected system is always available,
even if the opposite is unlikely to happen)

> 4. Show main view
> 4a. Get list of available packages from somewhere or use previously fetched list
> 4b. Update the list at some point. Automatically or on request?

Since we want something out of the box, I think default must be automatic (or at least ask the user to update every week for example). Also we can do here a distinction between tha packages installed on the local computer (to see if they were updated for example) and the others.

> Install:
> 1. Show mirror list dialog with last used mirror preselected

Hmm, IMHO not by default. Perhaps for the 1st run. Then available throught a separate dialog.

> 2. Download sources for selected package
> 3. Ask installation paths from plugin

yes, with a default one pre-selected.

> 4. Configure && make & install to temporary location
> 5. Ask plugin to make package from the files in chroot
> 6. Ask plugin to install the created package using platform's package management
> system.
> Uninstall:
> 1. Here you could basicly show all packages from local system
> 2. Ask plugin to remove selected package from the system using platform's
> package management system.

ok for me.

> For API:
> ----------
>
> *is_installed
> Check whether the package manager for that plugin is installed
>
> *get_*path
> Bunch of functions for getting default path for different installation directories
>
> *get_list_of_packages
> Should be obvious
>
> *get_package_info(package name)
> Get information on package from local system. Package name should correspond to
> one gotten from get_list_of_packages
>
> *create_package(path to chroot)
> Create e.g rpm from files installed to temporary location
>
> *install_package(path to package)
> Install package to system using local package manager
>
> *uninstall_package(package name)
>

> Tuukka

Masse Nicolas