[Installit-dev] "package manager " becomes "InstallIt"

Tuukka Mäkinen tukem at iki.fi
Wed Aug 24 15:06:44 CEST 2005

Benedict listed lot of good stuff I wanted to say but I'll post my view of how
system might work anyway. Perhaps it'll give some ideas to somebody.

1. Check what package manager plugins are installed
2. Show package manager selection dialog
3. Tell plugin to check if it exists on the system
3a. continue
3b. Error dialog
4. Show main view
4a. Get list of available packages from somewhere or use previously fetched list
4b. Update the list at some point. Automatically or on request?

Install:
1. Show mirror list dialog with last used mirror preselected
2. Download sources for selected package
3. Ask installation paths from plugin
4. Configure && make & install to temporary location
5. Ask plugin to make package from the files in chroot
6. Ask plugin to install the created package using platform's package management
system.

Uninstall:
1. Here you could basicly show all packages from local system
2. Ask plugin to remove selected package from the system using platform's
package management system.

For API:
----------

*is_installed
Check whether the package manager for that plugin is installed

*get_*path
Bunch of functions for getting default path for different installation directories

*get_list_of_packages
Should be obvious

*get_package_info(package name)
Get information on package from local system. Package name should correspond to
one gotten from get_list_of_packages

*create_package(path to chroot)
Create e.g rpm from files installed to temporary location

*install_package(path to package)
Install package to system using local package manager

*uninstall_package(package name)

Tuukka