[Goodies-dev] Maintaining xfce4-cpufreq-plugin

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Tue Aug 13 14:33:47 CEST 2013

Hi,

Because it was related to other things I had to deal with, I've
recently started toying around with the xfce4-cpufreq-plugin,
fixing bugs and making some improvements. In a nutshell, these are:

* applied patches from bug tracker (port to libxfce4ui, fix build
  failures, better support for panel-4.10 features)
* build system updates
* improvements to panel widgets layout
* overview window size now scales better with multi-core cpus;
  you won't need a second screen now if your machine has more
  than 3 cores ;-)
* use a toggle button instead of the gtkeventbox to open/close
  the overview window for better UI response
* get rid of deprecated APIs (like GtkTooltips)
* fix reading min frequency from sysfs
* add support for the intel p-state driver

The rest is still work in progress, and some of the above might need
small refinements before I dare to declare them ready for shipping.
Clearly, there are also better ways to handle some things (e.g. the
overview window).

It seems that at the moment there is no one actively maintaining this
small plugin (the last commit was more than two years ago), so I'd
like to take over maintainership and therefore ask for git access
and bug tracker permissions, if no one objects.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'

PGP Key ID: 0xBA3AC516
Fingerprint: 569E 0ADA 440A 8B11 D1A2 AB47 8238 0256 BA3A C516