[Goodies-dev] Debugging so panel modules

David Mohr squisher at xfce.org
Wed Jul 11 22:58:54 CEST 2012

On 2012-07-11 12:09, Miguel Guedes wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've had a look at the page at
> http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/panel_plugin_debug but failed to find any
> information on how to debug panel so modules. Tips on how to do so
> with valgrind and gdb would be very appreciated!

Hi Miguel,

I haven't debugged internal panel plugins (yet), but my educated guess
is to just run these tools on the whole panel. With gdb that's of
course
not an issue: just set breakpoints in your plugin code, or wait for it
to blow up. Valgrind may be a bit more annoying, since you may see
issues in other plugins or the panel itself. But if you get a baseline
without the particular plugin that you want to debug, then the
comparison
between it and a valgrind report with the plugin should still give you
enough to work with.

~David