[Goodies-dev] How to write panel plugins?

Lucas Sichardt lucas.sichardt at posteo.de
Mon Aug 20 18:07:46 CEST 2012

Hi Matt and Simon,

thanks for your fast replies.
I've just tried MenuLibre. Unfortunately it seems not to install well when
using the PPA on a non-original Ubuntu - in my case Linux Mint. So I've
tried to install from the provided tarball and it seemed to do well. But
MenuLibre does not start and tells me on the command line that there's
some Gnome icon theme missing. But this is not a MenuLibre support mailing
list ;) I'll investigate further...

Back to the menu panel plugin toppic.
If I'm not absolutely wrong the menu system consists of the following
parts: desktop files, menu file and the menu applet or pugin itself.
If I'm thinking right the menu editor (Alacarte or MenuLibre) are
performing changes in the desktop files?
I would further say that the menu file then tells the menu plugin how to
show the information read out of all desktop files?

For now I will investigate more in how to get MenuLibre work as it really
looks good at those screenshots. Additionally I will read a bit about C
and the GTK as I'm really interested in writing panel plugins though
MenuLibre might solve my current problem. I think panel plugins or applets
are really useful while knowing that Gnome and Unity might think they're
obsolete...

Thanks for your information so far...

Best regards,

Lucas