[Goodies-dev] Data feed for the weather applet will soon die

Colin Leroy colin at xfce.org
Sun Oct 30 13:07:44 CET 2011

Hi,

I just found that in my spam folder.

From what I understand, this means the weather applet will need a new
data provider, because that new feed won't be free.

HTH,

Colin

--- Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 17:48:11 -0500
From: "The Weather Channel" <privacy2 at twcweather.com>
To: colin+weather at colino.net
Subject: Important Notice regarding your weather.com XML Data Feed

Can't view this message? Please click on the link below.
http://twcweather.com/twc40/c2.php?TWC/67039321/26997/T/N/V/http://twcweather.com/twc40/wmws/TWC/1318544970034_971/w26988.php?custcode=TWC&bid=67039321&pbid_=67039321
The Weather Channel(R)
weather.com

Dear Registrant:

We are writing to you because our records indicate that
you are a registered user of the weather.com(R) XML Data
Feed.
http://twcweather.com/twc40/c2.php?TWC/67039321/26998/T/N/V/http://xoap.weather.com

As a valued subscriber, we want to let you know that our
data feed service offerings are changing. Beginning the
week of October 10th, 2011, we will be launching a new
subscription service, The Weather Channel(R) API.

The Weather Channel(R) API is a subscription offering created
by The Weather Channel specifically to provide developers
with access to an easy to use weather data feed that they
can use to power commercial applications across a variety
of technology platforms.

 Key Features include:
* access to the most comprehensive global forecast set
  available anywhere
* white label solution (no logo; no links)
* weather data provided by weather.com(R)
* data may be accessed in either XML or JSON format
* leverages a world class cloud-based Infrastructure
* product support for the world wide web, the mobile web,
  downloadable web / PC applications, and downloadable
  mobile phone / smart phone applications
* multi-language support for English, Spanish, French,
  German, & Portuguese

What this means to you:
In order to have access to an XML data feed from The Weather
Channel, you will need to subscribe to The Weather Channel(R)
API. This letter serves as formal notice to you that your
access to the weather.com(R) XML Data Feed will terminate
at midnight Eastern time on October 31, 2011. To evaluate
The Weather Channel(R) API as an alternative to the weather.com(R)
XML Data Feed, please click on the link below to go to
http://twcweather.com/twc40/c2.php?TWC/67039321/26999/T/N/V/http://portal.theweatherchannel.com.

If you have questions concerning this notice, you can call
The Weather Channel at (770) 226-2329 or e-mail us at
theweatherchannelapi at weather.com.

We look forward to continuing our relationship with you.

Best Regards,

Scott H. Zucker
Director, Revenue Management & Optimization
The Weather Channel, LLC
Phone: (770) 226-2329
Facsimile: (770) 226-2966
E-mail: theweatherchannelapi at weather.com