[Goodies-dev] Newbie wants to work on xfce4-cpugraph-plugin

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 21:55:45 CET 2011

2011/11/3 Florian Rivoal <frivoal at gmail.com>:
> There is already xfce4-systemload-plugin, xfce4-netload-plugin and a
> few others that can be used to track various things, event though they
> behave quite differently. I completely agree that consolidating them
> into one, combining their respective strengths would be a good thing,
> and I've been wanting to do that for quite a while, but I've just not
> had the time so far.

The current state of the "system" plugins is the following:
* CPU Graph -> Read (multi) CPU usage
* Systemload -> Read (multi) CPU usage
* Diskperf -> Read disk IO usage
* Netload -> Read network interfaces
* Wavelan -> Read WLAN interfaces
* CPU Freq -> Well... displays your CPU frequency
* FS Guard -> Read used/total space of a path/device
* Sensors -> Read temperature of system

There was once a mention a single "system" plugin should be merged
with xfce4-taskmanager, but I'm not in fond with this idea. For
example with regard to the battery plugin and the power manager
application, I'm sure there are people out there who want a battery
plugin that doesn't require you to install the power manager. I'm not
complaining this is not possible, we actually do have the power
manager with battery status, and a battery panel plugin.

Now since all those *load-plugins didn't have commits over years, the
right way would be to create a new plugin that reuses their code, and
leave them as is. This way we still give the possibility for single
plugins with as less dependencies as possible for each, and provide a
more recent one with all-of-it.

Mike