[Goodies-dev] Newbie wants to work on xfce4-cpugraph-plugin

Christian Leitold christian.leitold at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 23:46:06 CET 2011

Hello everyone,

I have just switched from Gnome to XFCE and thought this was a good
opportunity to start working on a small issue which has bothered me
for quite some time now. In Gnome 2, they had this nice System Monitor
panel plugin, which I liked a lot. Now, I would like to have a similar
panel applet for my XFCE desktop. The xfce4-cpugraph-plugin is already
very nice, however, I would like to tune it a little bit and possibly
add some new features, like a second graph for network load, etc. Of
course, the second and maybe even more important goal I would like to
achieve is to get some insight into the development of a "big"
software like XFCE.

Thus, I would like to get some advice on how to start. I have already
downloaded the latest source code via git and installed all the
necessary development libraries, so at least the code does compile. I
hope this is even the right place for my questions!

Concerning my background, you have to know that I'm definitely not a
master hacker in any sense. So far, I have written a fair amount of
scientific code in Fortran, C++ and a little bit of C, but never a
"real" program with graphics and all that. I hope, this will change
soon ;-) ...

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!
Christian