[Goodies-dev] Can I become the maintainer for these panel plugins?

Florian Rivoal frivoal at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 16:43:52 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am considering taking over as a maintainer for a bunch of panel plugins.
Unless I am stepping on someone's toes, I'd like to get access full access
bugzilla, git, transifex and release manager for these plugins. Of course,
if the current maintainer (when there is one) wants to continue
maintaining the package, I don't want to push him out, so it would be
appreciated if the people BCCed to this mail, and anyone who considers
himself a plugin maintainer could go through the two lists below, and tell
me if I am out of place.

As discussed before, I plan to merge the existing monitor plugins into a
single plugin. As part of that, I would like to take over as a maintainer
of the existing monitor plugins. At least until the new merged monitor is
ready, I'll make sure they work fine, including on xfce 4.7/4.8, handle
the issues reported in bugzilla, provide releases with updated
translations, and may make a couple of minor tweaks to make sure they work
well together. Here is the list of plugins I'd like to become a maintainer
of, for that purpose:

xfce4-diskperf-plugin:      Listed as maintained by Landry Breuil

xfce4-fsguard-plugin:       Listed as maintained by Mike Massonnet

xfce4-netload-plugin:       Listed as maintained by Bernhard Walle, but
                             hasn't been updated since 2006. Needs fixing
                             to work on 4.7/4.8.

xfce4-systemload-plugin:    Seems unmaintained

xfce4-wavelan-plugin:       Listed as maintained by Landry Breuil

In addition, I have gone through the list of plugins, and propose to take
over as a maintainer the following ones, based on the fact that they are
either unmaintained, or listed as maintained but haven't seen any activity
in a long time. Some of them work pretty well already, but some less so. I
don't have any major plan for most of them, but would like to make sure
they a least keep on working fine, including on xfce 4.7/4.8, handle the
issues reported in bugzilla, and provide releases with updated
translations. Of course, my bandwidth is limited, so I won't fix
everything overnight, but that's still better than unmaintained.

xfce4-battery-plugin:       Seems unmaintained, many reported bugs

xfce4-cddrive-plugin:       Seems unmaintained

xfce4-cellmodem-plugin:     Seems unmaintained, needs fixing to work on
                             4.7/4.8

xfce4-cpufreq-plugin:       Seems unmaintained, many reported bugs

xfce4-datetime-plugin:      Listed as as maintained by Diego Ongaro, but
                             Diego has said in a bug (6443) that he doesn't
                             have time. Needs fixing to work on 4.7/4.8,
                             and a few other reported bugs.

xfce4-eyes-plugin:          Seems unmaintained, a few reported bugs

xfce4-genmon-plugin:        Seems unmaintained, many reported bugs

xfce4-mailwatch-plugin:     Listed as as maintained Brian Tarricone, but
                             has been untouched for a year and needs fixing
                             to work on 4.7/4.8, and many other reported
                             bugs.

xfce4-mount-plugin:         Listed as maintained by Fabian Nowak, but
                             appears untouched for 1 year

xfce4-places-plugin:        Listed as as maintained by Diego Ongaro, but
                             Diego has said in a bug (5754) that he doesn't
                             have time. Needs fixing to work on 4.7/4.8,
                             and a few other reported bugs.

xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin:	Unmaintained: Author (Masse Nicolas) has said
                             in bug 5042 "i'm not activelly working on this
                             anymore, so anyone who wants can work on
                             this". a few reported bugs

xfce4-radio-plugin:         Listed as as maintained by Stefan Ott, but
                             needs fixing to work on 4.7/4.8, and Stefan
                             said in bug 6621 "I currently don't have
                             access to the repo".

xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin: Seems unmaintained

xfce4-time-out-plugin:      Seems unmaintained, many reported bugs

xfce4-timer-plugin:         Listed as maintained by Kemal Ilgar Eroglu,
                             but appears untouched for over 2 years. No
                             project in bugzilla.

xfce4-verve-plugin:         Seems unmaintained, a few reported bugs

xfce4-weather-plugin:       Seems unmaintained, a few reported bugs

xfce4-xfapplet-plugin:      Seems unmaintained, a few reported bugs

xfce4-xkb-plugin:           Listed as maintained by Alexander Iliev, but
                             appears untouched  for 1.5 years, many
                             reported bugs

xfce4-xmms-plugin:          Listed as maintained by Kemal Ilgar Eroglu,
                             but appears untouched for about 2 years,
                             a few reported bugs

Regards,

  - Florian