[Goodies-dev] xfce goodies icon naming standard

Simon Steinbeiß simon.steinbeiss at elfenbeinturm.at
Sat Nov 6 14:45:56 CET 2010

> That said, as I don't play all that much with icons my self, I am not sure
> I have a good grasp on the consequences. For sure, renaming xfce-unknown
> to xfce4-cpufreq can't hurt, but for the goodies that reuse standard icon
> names, isn't this helping make sure that many icon theme will have an icon
> for it? Don't we lose that by switching to an xfce only icon name?

As I'm not really a programmer I won't enter the technical discussion about how to implement fallbacks. That said I think that there should definitely be an icon shipped with every plugin.
The thing with falling back to a standard icon is that those are usually rather generic and therefore to some point not as valuable (as in: unique and identifiable) as an icon designed for a specific application. E.g. if I install three different webbrowsers and they all fall back to a generic "webbrowser"-icon instead of shipping their own branded icon there could just as well be no icon, because you could only distinguish them by name, not by icon.
So if you have three panel-plugins (e.g. different plugins for monitoring) it's kinda ques

> > As a final note on the matter let me propose two possible standards:
> > 1) "xfce-" + goody-name
> > 2) "xfce4-" + goody-name
>
> Either sound acceptable to me. In isolation, I'd tend to prefer the first
> one, but there are already a whole lot of things called xfce4-something,
> that the second one may be a better choice, for the sake of consistency.

I can't say that I care much for which standard is chosen (obviously I'm also ok with a proposal that's not one of the two I proposed) as long as there is any standard ;)