[Goodies-dev] xfce goodies icon naming standard

Simon Steinbeiß simon.steinbeiss at elfenbeinturm.at
Mon Nov 1 18:32:53 CET 2010

Hi everyone,

I create (or: modify, I guess that's closer to the truth) icon themes for xfce a lot recently, I fixed the elementary theme to work better with Xubuntu and now I'm working on yet another theme.
What I noticed during that process is that there doesn't seem to be any kind of naming-convention for the icons of xfce-goodies (I'm mainly referring to the panel-plugins here). Some of the goodies are using generic gtk-icons that have nothing to do with the function of the respective goody (smartbookmark: gtk-preferences) and others use icons that are either strange (CPUFreq: xfce-unknown) or neither standard nor xfce-specific (xfce4-timer: clock). These are just representational examples, anyone who ever tried to theme the dialog that adds panel-plugins to the panel (<=4.6.2) with fitting icons (or alternatively: looked at the goodies .desktop files for reference) knows how widespread this problem is. Even amongst those goodies that use seemingly useful names - e.g. with a leading "xfce" - are not adhering to any standard i can/could figure out, some are just as well using a leading "xfce4".[1]

Maybe this issue has never come up before or maybe the consequence of deciding upon a standard frightened the devs in question (because having a standard would kind of imply that every goody would ship its own icon), but I thought now that 4.8 finally feels like it's just around the corner I could maybe step up and help solve this.
Changing the goodies launcher files to adhere to the chosen convention is a trivial change, I would step up to design icons for the goodies that don't have any yet (see the cpugraph-plugin icon I did just a few weeks ago for reference to decide whether I'm suitable for this or not) and solve the naming mess.

As a final note on the matter let me propose two possible standards:
1) "xfce-" + goody-name
2) "xfce4-" + goody-name

Kind regards,
Simon Steinbeiß

[1] I am well aware of the fact that even the settings-dialog bears similar inconsistencies, but I guess this is not the list to bother with that issue :)