[Goodies-dev] Calculator panel-plugin

Connor Behan connor.behan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 00:26:45 CET 2010

I'm sorry you feel discouraged by the community. I'm sure everyone who
mentioned the calculator plugin that already exists just mentioned that
as a matter of interest. Everyone here wants to see a new calculator
plugin surpass the old one in functionality and you are doing this so
keep at it.
> My intention was to simply express interest in it. Unfortunately, I seem to read the words "Already Exists" as no one cares and "Don't Bother" contributing to the community.
>

> the auto install I mean is about it being attached like a dependancy or similar whereby you cannot get the 4.6.0xx ++ installed w/o it being put in there automatically. - The great thing about distro developers is the treat their users like a ghost.

And yes bundling panel plugins with other parts of Xfce is a bad idea...
Xfce is supposed to be modular. The source of confusion may be the
handful of plugins that are part of the build system of xfce4-panel.
Distribution packages of xfce (which will always have xfce4-panel) are
also more than likely to include the pager, system-tray, taskbar,
separator, clock and launcher plugins. I suspect these are attached
because they are crucial for making Xfce adhere to freedesktop.org
standards and if they are part of xfce4-panel, more developers are
likely to look at them to make sure they always work. I don't know if
anyone complained about this decision but it looks like the most active
Xfce developers think these plugins are a "special case". It does NOT
mean every panel plugin should be bundled like this.