[Goodies-dev] git conversion status update

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat May 9 02:51:07 CEST 2009

Hi all,

[If you're too lazy to read this email in its entirety, please scroll to
the bottom and read the list of actions.]

I know I've been quiet for a bit, but I'm actually working on this.

Going pretty well so far.  Awesomely, our disk space requirements have
dropped from about 2GB (with svn) to around 375MB (with git).  That's
pretty nuts.

See here for my (as yet undocumented) "conversion toolset":
http://git.xfce.org/kelnos/xfce-git-migration/

Currently failing to convert are:

bugzilla.xfce.org (nonstandard svn repo layout)

Currently failing to verify are:

terminal (docs XML file differences)
xfce4-bglist-editor (PNGs differing)
xfce4-notes-plugin (PNGs differing)
xfce4-taskmanager (compiled binary differing [why is this in svn?])
xfce4-weather-plugin (PNGs differing)
xfce4-xkb-plugin (PNGs differing)
xfce4-xmms-plugin (PNGs and XCFs differing)
xffm-icons (missing branch)

I suspect the binary file difference problems are because the mime-types
aren't set properly for those files in our svn repo.  That shouldn't be
too hard to fix (though I'm not happy about having to commit prop
changes to tags).

[2] Not sure what's going on with Terminal or xffm-icons (though I don't
care quite so much about the latter).

Anyhow, a TEMPORARY READ-ONLY WILL-BE-DELETED test thingo is here:

http://git.xfce.org/THESE_WILL_BE_DELETED/

If you use this for anything useful, well... you're a moron ^_~.

You should be able to clone from that URL.  No git:// clone support yet,
and no cgit.  Read-only for now.

Please give it a look and make sure your repos look ok.  The
verification script is very thorough (it actually diffs all files on
each branch and each tag, and verifies that all the branches/tags that
should exist do actually exist), but it's certainly possible something
could have gotten messed up.

One possibly controversial choice I've made is to munge branch and tag
names a bit.  For example, the 'xfce_4_4' branch is now called
'xfce-4.4'.  Any branches/tags of the form ${MODULE_NAME}_X_Y_Z were
also converted similarly.  I also converted things like 'V_1_0' to
'V-1.0' and 'V1_0' to 'V1.0'.  For the Xfce core modules, this is pretty
much set.  For personal modules, PLEASE SPEAK UP (via private email) if
you want your branches/tags left alone.

Please note that the actual final conversion is probably a couple weeks
off, at best.  Even though the conversion process should be 'perfected'
soon, there are still several other things that need to be done[1]
before we go live with git.

----> ACTIONS:

1.  Try checking out your module (from
http://git.xfce.org/THESE_WILL_BE_DELETED/) and see if everything seems ok.

2.  If you have a personal module (i.e., not in the Xfce core), and
aren't happy with the branch/tag name munging, email me privately and
I'll leave your module alone.

3.  If you have not done so, ensure that your name and email address are
up-to-date here:
https://svn.xfce.org/account/
Your name and email address will appear in each commit you make in the
git repos.

	-b

[1] See http://wiki.xfce.org/git-migration#missing_stuff