[Goodies-dev] Accounts for the new release manager

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed Jul 22 20:10:52 CEST 2009

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 14:01:07 +0200
Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:58:18 +0200
> Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > * In the project view, it would be nice if the version numbers are
> > links to the tarballs same for the branch maybe. So you can easily
> > navigate to the file while checking/updating releases.
>
> Yeah. It's easy to implement. I just didn't do that yet because the
> archive is not publically visible yet.

Each release now points to the public "branch" directory now in the
archive. For instance, if you click on the "4.5.99.1" on the
xfce4-panel page, you'll be forwarded to
http://mocha.xfce.org/~jannis/archive/src/xfce/xfce4-panel/4.5/.

> I'd prefer if we'd stick to a tight naming scheme for all components,
> something like <project>-<[0-9].[0-9].[0-9]>.tar.bz2. That makes it
> very easy to detect available releases and it means that for each
> release there is only one possible tarball filename. This implies that
> there will be no tarballs called <project>-0.8.0rc1.tar.bz2 or
> something, so I'm not sure about this. Maybe I'll remove this
> detection logic and just show everything inside the branch folder,
> except for the checksum files.

BTW, tarball naming schemes are a BIG F***ING MESSAGE! People, please
stick to <project>-[0-9].[0-9].[0-9].tar.bz2 and don't use -rc1 or
whatever. You only break sorting and you make it more difficult for
other people to detect versions from tarballs automatically. If you
want to release RCs for e.g. 0.6.0, just release more 0.5.x's and call
them RCs in your announcements ...

This also makes sense because 0.6.0rc1 or 0.6.0RC1 or 0.6.0-RC1 or
whatever you call it does not belong to the 0.6 cycle because that
starts with 0.6.0 and not before.

The release manager should now detect pretty much all releases but some
(like x.y.z-rc1 and whatnot) are listed in the x.y branches and not in
x.(y-1) where they belong.

I'll probably restrict uploading of tarballs to the proposed naming
scheme so that the rest is just "legacy" stuff.

  - Jannis