[Goodies-dev] weather.com logo (was: Re: ANN: xfce4-weather-plugin version 0.7.1 released)

Colin Leroy colin at xfce.org
Tue Jul 21 16:50:54 CEST 2009

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:20:30 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:

Hi,

> thanks for your work. Nice to see somebody is actively working on the
> weather-plugin again.

You're welcome :)

> However when I wanted to update the Fedora
> package I stumbled over weather_channel.png. I doubt that I'm allowed
> to ship this file in Fedora because of weather.com's terms of use:
>
> > Trademarks. TWC, The Weather Channel, and weather.com, and each of
> > their logos are trademarks of The Weather Channel, Inc. All rights
> > reserved. All other trademarks appearing on the Services are the
> > property of TWC or their respective owners.
>
> Source: http://www.weather.com/common/home/legal.html
>
> On the other hand the logo is needed for compliance to their EULA,

I used the logo provided in their SDK, in conformance (I think with
their EULA at https://registration.weather.com/common/eula/xmloap.html

>Logos:
>
>You may use either of the images in the "logos" directory, supplied as
>part of the TWCi Software Developers Kit ("SDK"), in accordance with
>the terms of the Agreement. The logo must link directly to the home
>page of the TWCi Site.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but I think I understand correctly that the logo
they ship in the /logos directory of their SDK is there to be
distributed with desktop or online applications.

HTH,
--
Colin