[Goodies-dev] xfce4-playercontrol-plugin doesn't find music players

Kemal Ilgar Eroglu ilgar_eroglu at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 22:27:02 CET 2009

Hi again,

> I have just relaized that: playercontrol has a severe memory leak. As
> soon as I play music it eats up all my ram (1GB) and 80% CPU. :( Any
> idea how to debug this?

Hmm that's strange, on my system the CPU usage is small and there's no noticeable leak. I found out some leaks after 0.3.0 but I can't imagine how it can fill up 1GB (my system has 1GB RAM too). I'd recommend that you wait for the next version before trying to debug it. By the way, are you using a very high scroll speed (and does this occur with all players)?

> I think you are linking against the wrong libs, because the players are
> only available from the dropdown if I have their development packages
> installed.
>
> libaudclient.so, libmpd.so and libaudclient.so belong to the devel
> packages (at least on Fedora), you should link against the lib with full
> soname but not the symlink. On Fedora these are libaudclient.so.1.0.0,
> libmpd.so.0.0.0 and libxmms.so.1.3.1.

I'm not really a professional programmer, so I please bear with my mistakes and questions :). I'm using Slackware which installs all the stuff with the packages, so I wasn't able to test it against missing -devel packages on RPM systems. Are you saying that without the devel package, you system only has, say, libaudclient.so.1.0.0, but the link libaudclient.so to it is added by the -devel package?

Cheers,
Ilgar