[Goodies-dev] Xfce power manager and DeviceKit-power!

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Tue Feb 24 00:26:49 CET 2009

Am Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:31:47 +0100
schrieb Ali Abdallah <aliov at xfce.org>:

> Christian Dywan wrote:
> > Am Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:33:09 +0100
> > schrieb Ali Abdallah <aliov at xfce.org>:

> >> Sure it is better to wait for devicekit to be available
> >> everywhere, Ubuntu for example, will still ship the HAL based gpm
> >> 2.24 instead of the devicekit-power based 2.26 for its 9.04
> >> release, so it will take time, what i'm suggesting here it is just
> >> a plan.
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > I find it great that you're already looking into this mainly because
> > this provides the chance to influence development of DevicekitPower
> > early on, ie. if you find flaws, bugs or whatever.
> >
> > As a suggestion without knowing the code, maybe you can keep the
> > hal-based code somehow separate from the graphical interface, and
> > keep it supported, while starting to support DevicekitPower?
> >
> > I don't know if that's feasible, just an idea.
>
> I'm not sure if i understand what you mean, the HAL based xfpm
> version 0.6.0 will be always maintained, the DeviceKit-power based
> one will be developed for futur versions, is that what you mean.

I actually meant to suggest, that you could keep the HAL based code in
the same branch as the new DevicekitPower based code. Thinking that the
looks of the preferences and localizations wouldn't have to maintained
twice.

If you plan to keep the current HAL branch updated as long as HAL
is still what people have, that's fine as well :)

ciao,
    Christian