[Goodies-dev] Parole

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Wed Aug 19 11:30:21 CEST 2009

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> Hey Ali,
>
> I just tried parole for the first time, and I have to say I'm
> impressed! I didn't expect it to be so functional at this point. Really
> nice.

Thanks for your feedback, i'm very happy to hear that.

> A few things that occured to me though:
>
>   - the 'Help' menu button is not placed so well in the upper right
>     corner of the window. You can easily hit the close button if all
>     you want is some help

Will change it today.

>   - a little padding/margin here and there would do the interface good.
>     Maybe have a look at the GNOME HIG on
>     http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/ and our slightly
>     modified margins used in the settings dialogs
>
>   - it's always a good thing to align similar elements in the GUI (for
>     instance the font and encoding selection buttons in the settings
>     dialog). I generally recommend reading up on grid-based layouts on
>     the internat (there was a PDF entitled 'Grids are good' or
>     something; forgot the URL)

Yeah, the interface needs more love.

> Other than that ... sweet! I'm currently compiling GStreamer plugins to
> see if it can play movies with subtitles.

Local movies with subtitles will play without problems i believe, (of
course the subtitle file has to have the same name as the movie file in
the same dir).

DVDs will not play if  libdvdcss is missing, but if libdvdcss is
installed then DVDs plays fine in Parole with the DVD menu
nagivation+chapter changes..., so basically i will have to write some
code which detects missing Gstreamer plugins+libraries, Totem does the
same thing by notifying the user which GStreamer plugin is needed to
play specific file.

Probably i will release a 1.90 version of Parole this week-end just to
getting feedbacks, suggestions, improvements and ideas, since there is
no much in my TODO file.

>   - Jannis

Cheers,
Ali.