[Goodies-dev] Suggestions to enhance Ristretto

Denís Fernández Cabrera denis at ceibes.org
Mon May 5 09:49:38 CEST 2008

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the appropiate place to post these
suggestions, but I wasn't able to find a better email address or wiki
page. Please excuse me if this list is only reserved for code
developers, or something similar.

I have been trying Ristretto --- the XFCE image viewer --- for some
days now, and I find it a very nice program: it is reasonably small
and reasonably fast, and it has a very nice user interface. I like the
way it presents the list of images, and how you can click-scroll
through them. It is also quite compact -- so much that it makes for a
great program to display images in a presentation.

However, I have noticed a few areas where (IMHO) it could be enhanced.
Some of them are usability issues, and some are mere eyecandy:

- Scrolling the mouse wheel in the main image view displays the next
image, and that is good. But scrolling on the image list shouldn't
change the main image --- instead, it should slide the image list
itself, much as in click+dragging (ideally with smooth animation).
This would make the program more useable with the mouse.

- the "displayed" (or "selected") image in the image list shoudl
appear highlighted somehow (subtly) beyond having it placed in the
center of the list.

- It would also be nice if, when the centered image changes (because
you hit spacebar and move to a new image, for example), the image list
displaced itself smoothly to the new position, instead of just jumping
there.

- Keys + and - should be linked to zooming in and out. Likewise, 1
should display the image in real-size, and 0 should make a best-fit of
the image in the available space.

- There should also be a hotkey to show/hide the image list. This
would be especially handy when in fullscreen mode. Perhaps imagelist
should be deactivated by default when in fullscreen.

...And i think that's it! For the rest, thanks to the developers for
such a great job in this little application. It's nice and useful!

Denís.

--
Denís Fernández Cabrera
mailto://denis@ceibes.org