[Goodies-dev] New Member

Erlend Davidson E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk
Thu Mar 27 12:33:26 CET 2008

Erlend Davidson wrote:
> Iraklis Karagkiozoglou wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am Iraklis Karagkizoglou.
>> I am 15 years old. I am a student. I know C and i am going to learn c++.
>> I would like to help develop applications for xfce. Tell me were do
>> you think i could be useful.
>>

> I had an idea about 4 months ago, but I haven't had time to do anything
> about it. One of my friends got a digital video camera, she uses Ubuntu
> Linux, and she's been having trouble getting the video on to a DVD.
> There are solutions (avidemux and command-line) but if you're doing it
> regularly it's tedious, and it's hardly intuitive.
>
> I think it would be useful to have a "Burn these Videos to a DVD"
> program. No fancy options or effects - just do it. Of course there would
> have to be a few options (set on first run, and use these thereafter).
> It would be fairly similar to the Wizard mode of iMovie, and would do
> any transcoding without bothering the user about codec options.
A simpler version of this, which would still be useful is a
Drag-and-drop type "applet" where when you drag video or audio files,
they are immediately queued for conversion to another format.  An
example in windows is OggDrop, and on the Mac DropDV.

The reason these are useful is when you are trying to convert an image
for upload to youtube (or similar) where there is a size limit.
Therefore there should be a "target file size" option, and also a
"youtube size" option to make it easier.

This could be a warm-up exercise to the DVD burning code.  If you do
decide to do one of these then it's probably best to tell people, to
avoid duplication of effort.