[Goodies-dev] Audio thumbnailer

Dirk Vanden Boer dirk.vdb at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 15:07:58 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Erlend Davidson
<E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dirk Vanden Boer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have written an audio thumbnailer that generates a thumbnail based
>> on embedded images in the id3v2 tag.
> Cool - I didn't actually realise that was possible.  Do you know how
> common it is?  A quick google and I see that only really Windows Media
> Player does this by default.

All the music downloaded from iTunes contains cover art, otherwise the
ipod won't show a picture when playing the audio, but players like
amarok, muine also support it, and I do it for all my music :-)

>>  The thumbnailer is written in c++
>> and consists of three sourcefiles, I think it's a bit overkill to
>> create a seperate project for this like I did with ffmpegthumbnailer.
>> So I was wondering if it can be included in the thunar-thumbnailers
>> code archive?
> Currently there is no binary code in Thunar-thumbnailers.  When I need
> to write a binary to do something I have created (or used) an external
> project - for example raw-thumbnailer (which is less than 100 lines of
> code) and your ffmpegthumbnailer.  In a sense Thunar-thumbnailers is
> just a set of rules for generating thumbnails.
I understand, so it's probably better to just create an new project on
google code.

> Can you post the thumbnailer to this list please?

Attached is the file containing the modifications I made to
thunar-thumbnailers. The configuration stuff isn't perfect yet (make
install doesn't correctly install it yet I think, I had to do some
manual tweaking) but it should allow you to build the thumbnailer.
Dependencies are Taglib and Imagemagick.

Regards,
Dirk