[Goodies-dev] You word of advise, please

Álvaro Lopes alvieboy at alvie.com
Mon Jan 7 20:52:19 CET 2008

Hello all,

as some of you know, I wrote and maintain a XFCE panel plugin (cellmodem).

Lately I had some gnome users asking me to port the plugin to gnome panel. This is technically not hard for me to do, because I splitted all xfce-specific stuff
from the core.

Now, as all of you know, maintaining an application which code is scattered across many repositories is a tedious and error-prone task.

I ask you: what's the best way (in your opinion) to accomplish this ? Should I split all common code into, let's say, a shared lib (and package) and only
implement the specific UI stuff on each one, or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Álvaro