[Goodies-dev] Ideas and such

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 19:28:05 CET 2008

Hi Robert,

2008/12/1 Robert Delahunt <twinreverb at puresimplicity.net>:
> All,
>
>        First off, I would like to thank you for your xfce-goodie, xfce4-fguard.  I
> love it!
>        I had a couple of ideas for features, and thought I would share them.  First,
> I was thinking that (for those who prefer an "automatic" model) you could
> write one that simple uses /etc/mtab information to populate a display where
> each "real" filesystem mounted displays a small graphical meter that
> automatically sets warning to 20% free and urgent to 10% free.  My typical
> use of fsguard is to have one per real filesystem set up exactly like that,
> but I must manually enter the limits.

The limits in percentage is something that can be hacked in the current plugin.

For the first idea, or better your preferred habit of using fsguard,
there is a no-go, as to me it sounds more like a different goal than
what the current plugin is intended to do.  It would be better to
start a new plugin/branch that builds against hal and this way you can
acquire any file-system even the hot-plugged ones, and make it an
"automatic model".

>        However, my second idea would be easier to implement on the current fsguard
> plugin: an option whereby it hides the entire display (or hides only the
> name) when the FS is not mounted.  This would be cool, as my normal display
> of four different filesystems would take up less panel space when a
> filesystem isn't mounted.

That can be hacked in aswell.

Can you file the two features on http://bugs.xfce.org?

>        I appreciate your panel plugin!  I am sorry that I do not know how to program
> or hack on the source, but if you provide me the source to test out, I would
> gladly test it out and report back to you.  If I can do anything to help,
> please let me know.  Again, thanks for your plugin!
> --
> Very respectfully,
> Robert Delahunt

Regards