[Goodies-dev] Set keyboard layout at startup: enhance xfce4-xkb-plugin or a new application?

Stavros Giannouris stavrosg at hellug.gr
Sat Sep 29 21:02:10 CEST 2007

Hello.

I have been thinking for a while to add an easy (read: graphically
configured, no root required) way for the user set or change the
keyboard layout settings of his/her account.

The xorg.conf way OK I guess, but it may scare some potential users off,
and with Xorg 7.3 released, which can supposedly run without the need of
xorg.conf at all, it is a pity to instruct people to create it just to
set their prefered keyboard layout.

The application I have in mind is simple:
Every time it is started, read the settings from a configuration file
and set the configured layout by using either libxklavier or calling
the setxkbmap command. (no GUI presented)
Start with a designated switch, and a configuration dialog pops up.
Or maybe the other way around.

Then again, this functionality can be included in xfce4-xkb-plugin, which
most people using many layouts should have installed anyway.

Opinions?

Note that I am only a bit familiar with Python, but if any amount of code
in C is included, it may be a perfect chance for me to start learning it.

Regards,
--
Stavros Giannouris <stavrosg at hellug.gr>