[Goodies-dev] xfce-weather-plugin source

Sean Cronin seancron at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 02:00:13 CEST 2007

I was browsing the files on my computer and I came across the weather plugin
cache. I decided to take a look at the file and I noticed that the source
for the weather came from weather.com. However at the top of the cache there
was a legal notice that stated:

<!--This document is intended only for use by authorized licensees of The
Weather Channel. Unauthorized use is prohibited. Copyright 1995-2005, The
Weather Channel Interactive, Inc. All Rights Reserved.-->

Upon further investigation I found that The Weather Channel has a pretty
strict policy on the use of its data, an excerpt of which I have posted
below:

"...your application must:
- Only display weather data for one location at a time
- Adhere to the data request rules, usage rules, and refresh rates outlined
in Section 8 of this Guide
- Clearly separate TWCi data from data within a single visual element
- Identify that the weather data comes from TWCi and provide a link to the
weather.com home page as set forth in
Section 9 of this Guide
- Provide three promotional links back to weather.com for additional weather
information as set forth in Section 9 of
this Guide
- Be free of charge to your end users
- Have fewer than 25,000 active users in any given month"

Any comments on this?

-Sean