[Goodies-dev] CPU load plugin

Ângelo Miguel Arrifano miknix at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 15:44:07 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 13:54:17 +0200
lidiriel <lidiriel at coriolys.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Angelo, i have tested your plugin on my centrino-duo. It work perfectly.
> Have you tested your plugin on a single cpu/core computer ?

  No.. But it should work..
I've tested on a Centrino with HT. They will have two useless bars since
they will move equally due to HT emulation. (Thanks kalikiana for testing).

In case total number of processors is:
1) Single cpu/core system. Only the graph should be seen.
2) We are dealing with a two processor system or Centrino HT.
   The centrino will show total cpu on both "cores" (booth bars will move equally). Only the graph should be seen?
   Two processors systems should work as expected but I really don't know who has these and is using xfce..
3) 1 cpu + 2 cores: The cpu will show total load and each core their load.
5) 1 cpu + 4 cores: Those new QUAD core cpus.. should work as expected..

Rule of the thumb (ignoring multicpu systems with multicore processors):
If nr of cpus is even we are dealing with a centrino HT.
If nr of cpus is odd we are dealing with a multicore system.

What do you think?

> I think it's a good idea to merge your plugin with cpu load graph plugin.
> This week end i will try to merge both.
> I suggest the GUI in attachment of this mail.
> In progress bar the cpuload foreach processor/core and a history of the
> total system load.
> with in tooltips "Usage : N% (percentage)"
> and my patch for a configurable click action like "xterm top".

It's nice :)
Attached is a screen-shot of a dock window I made sometime ago.. Look at
the graph, it could be an idea for a "multicore" graph theme.

> ++
>
> Lidiriel

  I'm with plenty of time to work on it these days..
Could I have svn access? I could start code migration on a separate
tree.

Thanks
--
Angelo Arrifano AKA MiKNiX