[Goodies-dev] ANN: xfce4-modemlights-plugin version 0.1.4 RC released

mmassonnet at gmail.com mmassonnet at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 22:44:52 CET 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 07:18:51PM +0000, Álvaro Lopes wrote:
> mike.massonnet at gmail.com wrote:
> > Hello Xfce,
> >
> > I have happily ported the Modem Lights plugin to the latest Xfce4-panel
> > API.  Modem Lights is a quick button in the panel to turn on/off the
> > dialup (ppp) connection.  It works with the scripts pon and poff
> > provided by the ppp package on most distributions/systems.
> >

> Hi mike,
>
> I'm the author of cellmodem plugin and I've a few questions for you.

Hey Álvaro,

> First of all, I always wanted also a pon/poff stuff on my plugin, but I did not implement it because most distros I know don't setuid pppd (and therefore only
> root can start the ppp connections). Other issues arise when using multiple ppp tunnels (like pptp), because you have to figure out which PPP device its being
> currently used.
>
> I wonder if you have some kind of method to at least fetch the PPP device when it comes up, rather than being statically defined.

As I don't have any PPP connection I don't think I can investigate a lot
in this area.  For the moment information is given in the properties
dialog at how to fetch the device name, it might be sufficient.  Please
file a bug so it doesn't get lost.

> Other question: do you plan to add support for accounting (like session counters, monthly counters, etc...) to it ?

Mmmhmh, nice idea.  I can do that I think by simulation.  Same here,
file a bug ;-)  It is wai¡ easier to follow this in bugzilla.

> Keep on the good work :)
>
> Álvaro

Thank you,
Cheerz!