[Goodies-dev] Plugin to configure wireless networks

Mike Massonnet mike.massonnet at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 01:47:46 CET 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 07:20:48PM +0000, James Westby wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi,

> Some people have said that they would like a plugin to configure
> wireless networks, and the wavelan plugin is probably a reasonable place
> for that.
>
> There are a couple of problems with this though. The first is that I
> have a desktop and one network, so I don't have any configuration to do.
> The second is that I don't even understand the issues involved.
>
> However I am not against having the plugin have this functionality if
> it is the best place for it (maybe there should be a separate plugin?).
>
> I had a quick look at what is available. There doesn't seem to be a
> leading contender for doing all this though. I could do it myself with a
> couple of text boxes and a bunch of ioctls, but that reqiures root
> rights, and I'm not sure if just a couple of text boxes is enough for
> people.

I use wifi-radar[1], and I really like it.  It saves profiles for each
configuration (essid, wep/wpa, ...), and can be started as daemon
through a Unix service (/etc/init.d) to connect to the nearest available
network.

[1] http://wifi-radar.systemimager.org/

[snip]

> Thanks,
>
> James

Cheers!
--
 Mike (m8t) Massonnet http://massonnet.org/     __oo
 GnuPG 0--" 0xF8C80F97                      ---(_)_">