[Goodies-dev] Mailing list delays

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Sat Jan 13 00:33:17 CET 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 21:07:33 +0000, Álvaro Lopes <alvieboy at alvie.com>
wrote:

> FYI
>
> This is happening often lately, any ideas why?
>
> rsm-mta[5496]: l0CKTv1x007668: to=<goodies-dev at xfce.org>,
> delay=00:20:33, xdelay=00:00:02, mailer=esmtp, pri=572577
> elay=mx.su.se. [130.237.93.210], dsn=4.3.0, stat=Deferred: 451
> <goodies-dev at xfce.org>: Recipient address rejected: Service
> temporarily unavailable
I'm not completely sure but it looks like greylisting. Greylisting
means that a smtp server rejects a message with the status code that it
isn't available right now and so the sender should retry it later. This
works with usual smtp senders but prevents most spam mailers from
delivering their mail because of laziness they try to deliver the
mail only once and give up if the receiver isn't reachable.

But it can also be a real error, not sure.

Regards,
Enrico