[Goodies-dev] [Goodies-commits] r1965 - in xfce4-mpc-plugin/branches: . xfce4-mpd-playlist-plugin

Landry landry at fr.homeunix.org
Tue Sep 12 21:33:26 CEST 2006

 >Log:
 >Connect a branche to the mpc-plugin. It's a plugin which shows a
playlist button on the panel and gives the possibility to select a track.

Okay.... maybe you should have contacted me before commiting this ?
First, i don't really think this can be considered as a 'branch', since
there is no common code (and not the same licence..). But whatever.

Second, i've mostly finished the rewrite of mpd interface, and was
planning now to add some features :
- check-items in the rightclick menu for repeat/shuffle toggling
- ability to launch through the rightclick menu (or dblclick on the
plugin) a configurable 'helper app' like gmpc or glurp to manage the
playlist and advanced settings.
- maybe something like you have done (playlist show and select a title),
but not with a button (4 buttons is far too width already for the plugin
imho), maybe through a list like  the list linked to a launcher menu, or
with a sub-list in the rightclick menu.
- that's _really_ all, i don't want to write a full-featured client in a
simple plugin. Maybe i'm going to start writing a _real_ standalone
gtk2-client for mpd, using xfce libs, but not now... I know jannis is
interested about this :), and gmpc/glurp don't convince me.. neither do
python-gtk2 clients.

Now, i'd like to know what do you all think about these ideas, and Mike,
what are your plans with "my" plugin...

Landry

Ps : for those wondering why i rewrited an interface with mpd (plain old
c-sockets read/write), i want to have the choice to use either libmpd
(big and slightly complex) or my interface (tiny and SIMPLE). Other apps
interfacing with mpd like conky embed directly libmpdclient.c in their
code, i personally don't think this is a good thing.