[Goodies-dev] howto begin as newbee, wavelan-plugin

James Westby jw+xfce at jameswestby.net
Sun Sep 3 19:19:37 CEST 2006

On (03/09/06 17:53), Martin Forsgren wrote:
> Den 2006-09-02 21:03:15 skrev James Westby <jw+xfce at jameswestby.net>:
>
> > On (02/09/06 10:29), Martin Forsgren wrote:
> >> My problem by compilation is that it requires xfce4-panel-1.0 >= 4.0.0.
> >> What does this mean. I have xfce4-panel-dev installed.
> >> I guess it can have something to do with pkgconfig, but I dont
> >> have a clue even where to start reading about it.
> >>
> >> Running debian test. Installed
> >> xfce4-panel-dev(4.3.90.2-3) and xfce4-dev-tools(4.3.90.lsvn-r21976-1)
> >> and downloaded the plugins from subversion.
> >
> > With 4.3.something the .pc file chaged from xfce4-panel-1.0 to
> > libxfce4panel-1.0. It sounds like you are targeting the wrong version.
> > dpkg -L xfce4-panel-dev | grep pc will show you what you have.

> I don't have a clue what is wrong, it looks like the right .pc file is
> known to pkg-config, but Ill continue looking at it when I have time for
> it.

If dpkg -L xfce4-panel-dev | grep pc showed libxfce4panel-1.0.pc (as it
should), then it is a problem in your autoconf script.

I don't know if you are using the xfce-dev-tools, if you are you need

XDT_CHECK_PACKAGE([LIBXFCE4PANEL], [libxfce4panel-1.0], [4.3.20])

rather than

XDT_CHECK_PACKAGE([XFCE4-PANEL], [xfce4-panel-1.0], [4.0.0])

Otherwise if youare using some pkg-config macros, or your own then you
probably need to change them to use the correct file.

If you have done all this then I guess it will be a PKG_CONFIG_PATH
problem, or a case of leftover files from an old version interfering.

pkg-config --print-errors --exists libxfce4panel-1.0

can help you to debug the problem.

> > I have been doing some work on the existing wavelan plugin. I'm not
> > quite sure what you are aiming for, or whether it fits in with the
> > existing plugin, but would you be interested in talking to me about
> > modifying the existing plugin to do what you want. If not then I might
> > be able to help you anyway.
>
> Interesting. I didn't know that. What type of updates?

First I ported it to the new panel architecture, then fixed some bugs.

> What I first would like is the possibility to change accesspoint to connect
> to. Later changes are possibilities to create new connections or handle all
> network interfaces, not only wireless lan. I gladly discuss how we can
> help each other (or you help me).

This should be possible. It will require a change to the architecture to
achieve it though. Something along the lines of xfsm-shutdown-helper
might be appropriate.

James