[Goodies-dev] XKB Layout Switcher

lists_mk at wujiman.net lists_mk at wujiman.net
Mon Jun 19 19:01:42 CEST 2006

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 03:31:38PM +0300, Alexander Iliev wrote:
> lists_mk at wujiman.net wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 01:14:38AM -0700, Thomas Mettler wrote:
> >
> >>That's what I wanted. Thank you!
> >>
> >> But it still would be nice to implement that option in the plugin itself. I think the people would appreciate!
> >

> > that depends. i'v never had any problems with setting up xkb in Xserver
> > directly. it works all the time, no need to worry about plugins or setxkbmap.
>
> It might work, but it's not the thing I'd call user-friendly. :)
>
> I know that the term 'user-friendly' is far from well-defined, but
> what I mean is that most of the users don't need to know how to
> configure their xorg.conf in order to type in their preferred language.
> Ideally they should not need to know those details.

that's exactly why i left windows far behind. doing configuration once and
then just using the program is what i like about unix. this gui stuff,
constantly changing configuration, most of the time doing the wrong thing
or doing nothing at all is really irritating. this way, there's not even any
documentation for the configs anymore. what you can't click, you can't do.

one question. svn version xkb-plugin doesn't read it's config(it writes it
though). would there be any possibility of a quick fix? not that i don't like
the us flag constantly starring at me from the panel, but i'd prefer the "us"
"cz" description.

thanks
martin